Fight Hunger – Protect SNAP!
The Farm Bill passed in Dec. 2018 and you helped us protect the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Sadly, the threats aren’t over. For the third time this year, the USDA has proposed a rule change that will take food away from those who are simply trying to make ends meet. This rule change will mostly harm seniors and people with disabilities. It was considered and ultimately rejected by Congress when they passed the 2018 Farm Bill.
In October the USDA proposed a change to the rules for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly Food Stamps). The rule would change how states take households’ utility costs into account in determining the amount of SNAP benefits for which they qualify. The rule would...
- Take away states’ ability to set their own SUAs and methodologies based on local conditions.
- Set state SUAs based on a nationwide methodology. State SUAs would still vary, but not based on local factors.
You can find a fact sheet about the impact in PA, additional data, and resources HERE.
Impact for Pennsylvania Households:
- More than half of all PA households who use SNAP to put food on the table - nearly half a million households - will lose an average of $40 per month from their benefits
- Total SNAP benefits received across PA would drop by 9.3% - a loss of $237 million to buy food every year.
How you can help:
We need your help to push back on the proposed changes! You know your community and the impact hunger has. Comments are an effective tool to have your voice is heard in any government rule change.
Do what you can:
All comments help. If you submit relatively simple, short comments they contribute to a high quantity. If you submit high quality, detailed comments with a lot of evidence, they build a case, as well as take longer for USDA to review. (Note: comments should be at least 30% unique to be counted as a separate comment.)
- Tell USDA what you/your organization does and who you serve.
- Share stories/struggles of those who need help from SNAP to make ends meet.
- Highlight the impacts the rule will have.
How to submit comments:
Comment periods close on December 2, 2019.
We need to generate lots of comments making clear that these cuts would harm struggling people. To learn more:
- Please join us, and our partners Community Legal Services, for a webinar on how you can submit a comment opposing the proposed rule Thursday, November 7th at 11 am. Register HERE.
- Look for additional resources, as well as materials from the webinar on this web-page.
- Submit comments and refer to additional information on the comment page of our national anti-hunger partner, FRAC.
Don’t let this administration increase hunger and food insecurity by taking food off the tables of working families with children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
Get your comments in by the deadline - December 2nd – and feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.