As we move into week 4 of the government shutdown, The Coalition has important information for all PA SNAP recipients and any organizations/ agencies that can help get the word out to those individuals.
Due to the federal government shutdown, Pennsylvania's Department of Human Services (DHS) is issuing February's SNAP benefits early as directed by USDA. Benefits SNAP participants would normally get in February will instead be issued by 6pm TODAY, Jan 16th.
This is not an extra payment.
It is incredibly important that those who get SNAP know that the benefits they will receive on their EBT cards this Friday are the only benefits they will receive through the month of February. They will not get any more SNAP dollars unwil March at the earliest - and, unfortunately, at this time March benefits remain uncertain due to the shutdown. This will have a major effect on the way Pennsylvania SNAP recipients are able to budget their dollars.
We are very concerned about the impact the government shutdown is having on families and individuals who rely on vital federal nutrition programs. We want to ensure that those who receive SNAP have the best information available during this protracted and punitive shutdown.
County Assistance offices will still be accepting and processing new SNAP applications, and The Coalition will continue to help people apply online through COMPASS. Those who need application assistance can call The Coalition’s SNAP hotline at 215-430-0556.
Here is a breakdown of some useful information for SNAP clients at this time
- These are your February benefits coming early – they are not a bonus.
- You WILL NOT receive additional benefits in the month of February.
- USDA has directed all states to issue February benefits early – you will not be getting additional SNAP benefits until March at the earliest.
- New applications for SNAP are still being accepted and processed during the rest of January and during February. Eligible applicants who submit all required paperwork promptly will receive February benefits.
- If you are a current SNAP participant and do not receive your February benefits by the end of the day on Friday, January 18th, you may have paperwork due or an interview to complete. Please contact the Customer Service Center to check (in Philadelphia: 215-560-7226; Statewide: 877-395-8930).
- If you live in Southeastern PA (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery or Philadelphia counties) and have questions, call the Coalition Against Hunger’s SNAP hotline: 215-430-0556.
Please share this information with your family, friends, and clients.
We appreicate your help as we work to get the word out about these changes.
Advocacy and Communications Associate
The Coalition Against Hunger