Summer Meals have ended for 2016. Please check back in May of 2017 for more info!
Summer Meal Site Recruitment Materials
Help spread the word about Summer Meals! Download the materials below to recruit meal sites around the region so no child goes hungry this summer!
What are summer meals?
There are more than 1,400 places in Philadelphia that serve free meals and snacks to kids and teens age 18 and under. There are no income requirements, ID, or registration in qualifying areas.
Sites include recreation centers, churches, schools, public housing complexes and community organizations.
Why are summer meals important?
During the school year, thousands of low-income students eat free or reduced-price meals at schools. But when school is out and kids aren't receiving that food, children face higher risks for hunger and malnutrition. Summer meals help to fill that gap, so kids have the nutritious food they need to stay healthy all summer!
How do I find my nearest summer meals site?
- Call the toll-free Philly Summer Meals Hotline: 1-855-252-MEAL (6325)
- Text "FOOD" to 877877
- Visit the searchable map at www.phillysummermeals.org
Can I start a summer meals site in my community?
If you plan to work with children age 18 and under this summer, you may qualify to serve them free meals.
Trainings to be a Summer Meals site in 2017 will begin in May. The following Philadelphia site sponsors can work with you:
Philadelphia Parks and Recreation: 215-685-2725
- Runs the Playstreets program (city blocks closed to traffic to provide meals and activities.)
Nutritional Development Services (NDS): 215-895-3470, option1
- Works with a wide variety of summer programs and outdoor neighborhood meal sites.
What are the responsibilities of a summer meals site?
- Attend a program training by a sponsor. Trainings begin in May.
- Supervise meal service and activities at site.
- Distribute meals, following USDA guidelines.
- Help promote summer meals in your community.
- Decide the length of time to provide meals.
Still have questions? Call the Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger: 1-855-252-MEAL (6325)
Summer meals are made available by the USDA's Summer Food Service Program and Seamless Summer Option. Philadelphia sponsors include the Department of Parks & Recreation, Nutritional Development Services, and the Philadelphia Housing Authority.